Be killing sin, or sin will be killing you. - John Owen

Friday, May 28, 2010

My "Kitchen Blunder"

  

 Today I had one of those "baking mistakes" or "kitchen blunders" in the process of making a batch of Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies.  It was the first time that I'd made that particular recipe and it was copied off of the computer (hand written, not printed).  Unfortunately, one of the key ingredients, the flour, had been left out of the handwritten copy (I won't tell you who did that!).  I thought that the batter looked kind of funny but I figured that it might be a "special" cookie recipe, a flourless cookie - just like there are flourless cakes!  I knew that I'd followed the recipe very closely (emphasis on the word VERY) and I double and triple checked. Still I could find no place that I had skipped an ingredient.  Finally, I decided to pop the cookies in the oven despite my doubts.  When I checked them a few minutes later, they were FLAT, completely and utterly FLAT!  At that time, I knew that I had done something wrong. Instead of adding 2 cups of flour like the original recipe called for, I had put in NO flour at all!  Mama came to my rescue and found the original recipe, gave me the proper measurement and I was somehow able to salvage the cookies.
    I didn't think that they were that great, but everyone else seemed to enjoy them, so, if you're a chocolate lover, you might, just might, want to try this recipe. Be sure to add the flour and you'll have a rich chocolate treat!


Ingredients


1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)



Directions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).


In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.


Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or just until set. Cool slightly on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

1 comment:

Hernandez Family said...

gluten free, that's all.