Be killing sin, or sin will be killing you. - John Owen

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Texas Trip - Time with the Simons and the Beaches

 
And now for the second part of my Texas trip - in the Houston area!
 
I was "traded" to the Beaches (after a sad, sad goodbye to the Renfro ladies).  It was great visiting with Mrs. Beach and Hannah on the way to meet the Simons.  But, to tell the truth, I was having a hard time keeping awake after staying up talking the night before.  Mrs. Beach was so sweet, and she commanded me to close my eyes and rest.  It did me so much good!  Thank you, Mrs. Beach, for taking such great care of me! 
 
We met the Simons, and I got to give Kimberly a big hug.  I hadn't seen her for years, but we picked up right where we left off.  There is such a sweet bond between those who love and belong to Christ!
 
On Thursday, we made sauerkraut with fresh cabbage from their grandmother's backyard.  I had never made it before, and it was a really fun experience.  I went to bed early (that is, shortly before midnight :) that night and had some much needed rest. 
 
Friday was incredible!  Kimberly took me on a horseback ride to the park and we had a sweet heart-to-heart talk.  It was so sweet to catch up with her, to get to know her better, and to encourage one another. 
 
We had a ton of fun swimming and ski-bobbing on Saturday!  I had never been ski-bobbing before (pictures below), so I had an absolute BLAST!
 
Sunday was great!  We all crowded into the Simon's huge van, and headed off for church.  I was able to see several old friends at church, which was very sweet.  On the way home, Mr. Simon stopped and picked up 6 containers of Blue Bell ice cream.  Bliss!  Ice cream is my favorite dessert!  We had so much fun eating ice cream that night.  :)
 
We played Settlers of Catan the next day.  I had never played before, and I really, really enjoyed it!  Kimberly and I also made cinnamon rolls that night.  The next morning, we baked them and headed for the park down the road.  Kimberly and I rode the horse, while everyone else went in the van.  We had a morning picnic by the lake, which was just lovely.  I must say, though, it felt GREAT to get back into the air conditioning.  :)
 
We watched Anne of Green Gables together one day, while eating homemade caramel corn, made by Karissa.  Oh. My. Goodness.  This was incredible stuff!  Anne of Green Gables just got a whole lot better.  :)  It was fun to snuggle up on the couch with a cup of tea, bowl of popcorn, a cozy blanket, and just enjoy the movie.  What sweet memories! 
 
On my last day there, Kimberly and I got up early (4:15) to make donuts.  Oh my!  That was totally worth it!  While they were rising in the oven, we snuggled up on the couch, under a warm, fuzzy blanket, with our cups of tea, and had a very sweet time talking together. 
 
The Marques family and the Beach family came over that evening for dinner, fun, and fellowship.  Afterwards, the Beaches took me home with them to spend the night, and then took me to the airport in the morning.  But, before leaving the Simon's home, Kimberly taped a sign on my back that said "MINE! DO NOT TAKE (Thou shall not steal!) ~The Simons".  I was so loved! 
 
Most pictures were taken by me on either my camera, or my iPhone, but many were also taken by Karah.  Thank you, Karah, for all of the great memories that you captured on your camera.  The photos and videos are absolutely priceless!  You're a really great photographer!
 
The girls.  Love them so much!
Dear Mrs. Beach, sweet Mrs. Renfro, and adorable Ellie.   
At Chili's With the Renfro ladies and the Beach ladies before being "traded".  :)
The sweet sign, welcoming me at the Simon's lovely home.
Harvesting cabbage for sauerkraut!  Sweet Kendra was my little shadow the whole time I was staying with the Simons.
LOVE her!
Quartering and coring the cabbage before they are grated.
Karah and I squeezing the cabbage before putting it in the crock.
Later that day, rolling a hay bale for the horses before the rain comes.  What a fun experience!
Photo shoot at the railroad tracks.  Thank you, Mrs. Simon!
Lunch buddies.  :)
These lovely little girls were doing my hair while I was holding Kraig.  How sweet!
French braiding hair before leaving for the lake.  Best way to keep hair from tangling!
Me with sweet Klaire.  Love her so much!
Kamryn, Kason, me, and Klaire.
Loved these swimsuits!  The Simons order the fabric online and then sew their own.
L-R:
Kyleigh, Kendra, Karah, Karissa, Kimberly, me, and Kaitlyn
Jump!
Ski-bobbing with no hands.  What fun!
This is why I love photography - I get to catch sweet little moments like this that are treasured forever.
Absolutely worn out.  :)
Kimberly and I went on a horseback ride and had the sweetest heart-to-heart talk by the lake.
Beautiful Klaire.
Blue Bell ice cream!  What a treat!
Fun shot! No, I did not eat all of it!  :)
We had so much fun together...obviously!
Kimberly and I made cinnamon rolls one night, baked them the next morning...
...and had a lovely picnic at the park.  Kimberly and I rode the horse.  :)
Praying over the meal together, since we arrived a little bit late.  :)
Looking up at the clouds after breakfast. 
Plaid picnic blanket, cowboy boots, and a big blue sky.  Glorious!
A little bit of time on the edge of the lake before heading back.
Girl time doing hair.  :)
Sweet time worshiping the Lord.
More hair time!  :)  So fun to be in a house full of girls!
Settlers of Catan.  How fun!
Turkey burgers for dinner.
We did tie die one day.  Kimberly and I were both quite nervous about how ours would turn out, but I am very happy with the results.  :)
Cutting pine needles for pine needle tea.  Delicious!
More girl time painting toes.  :)
Making Play-Doh with the kids. :) 
 
Devotions.
Those eyes!
One of Karissa's pen-pals from Chicago also came to visit while I was there.
L-R:
Karissa, Hannah, and Rachel
I love this photo. 
Kason.  What a cutie!
We went outside one evening and Karah took photos of us.  Didn't she do an awesome job!?!
We were soooo dizzy after we finished spinning!  I couldn't walk a straight line.  :)
Homemade glazed donuts and fruit smoothie.  Incredible!
They are both such lovely girls!
The Marques family and the Beach family came for dinner one night.  We had so much fun playing games together, talking, and worshiping the Lord together.  Oh, and we also squeezed 30 people around the Simon's dining room table.  That was amazing fun!  :)
 
Simon family, thank you for opening your beautiful home to me, treating me like family, spoiling me with Blue Bell ice cream, making me laugh till I couldn't breathe, making me feel absolutely loved to death, plotting and scheming how you could keep me in Texas :), helping to make my trip memorable, and most of all, for showing me the love of Christ.  His glory shines in all that you do.  I love each one of you dearly, and I pray that we may see each other again soon.  I pray that the Lord will shower His richest blessings upon you.
 
After dinner, games, a super fun boat ride, Frisbee, and family worship, it was time to leave with the Beach family. We talked, laughed over old memories, listened to soundtracks, and just enjoyed each other's company.  The next morning, Mrs. Beach and Hannah prepared an incredible breakfast.  The Hill family and the Huffman family came for breakfast, and we had more sweet time together.
 
Thank you, Beach family, Hill family, and Huffman family, for making me feel so welcome.  It was great to spend time with y'all, though it was all too short.  We are praying for more opportunities to visit in the future.  I love and miss y'all very much.  May the Lord bless and keep you.
Playing Catch Phrase.
Playing spoons at the Beaches home.  Super fun!
Mr. Beach and Mr. Huffman.
The whole group of young people before leaving.
L-R:
Hannah, Ethan, Ellie, Keegan, Sam, Alex, me, Courtney, Ben, Jesse, Nate, Anna
The flight home was completely uneventful; I made it through the airports quite easily, praise God!  It was so wonderful to get back and see my beloved family again.  I am amazed at the blessings and providences of God poured out upon me during my trip.  He kept me safe, healthy, He blessed me in the reading of his word, I had beautiful fellowship, created unforgettable memories, and deepened relationships with dear friends.  I am so grateful for His goodness.
 
Until next time...y'all have a beautiful, blessed, and Christ-filled week!

3 comments:

Brooke Noble said...

Aw...you girlies are so beautiful! What a fun and sweet time of fellowship, Hannah! Thanks so much for sharing about your TX trip - I really enjoyed it. Love you! <3
P.S. The ski-bobbing looks like a BLAST! :)

Chris Beach said...

Great pictures.
Greater Memories.

Carolina said...

Nice recap of your trip!

:)