Be killing sin, or sin will be killing you. - John Owen

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Burn For You

 
  I heard this song for the first time on Sunday.  Incredible!  

Break my heart, take my dreams, they’re only in the way
Of what’s better than I ask or imagine
You’re my home, You’re my place, each and every word You say
Set me on fire, fire for You, fire for You

Set my heart on fire so that I can burn for You
Set my heart on fire, let them see me burn for You

A face like stone, a heart like wax and a passion for the dead
Unfailing love is what You’ve asked, You’ve imagined
The offered lives of the weakest ones are known to change the world
You set them on fire, fire for You, fire for You

Burning, having a passion for serving our God - this is something that I have been pondering lately.  Again, these thoughts were sparked by reading Foxe's Book of Martyrs. 
I love the line in the song "The offered lives of the weakest ones are known to change the world".  That is so, so true!  Not only physical death, but offering our lives in service each and every day while we live.
 
I remember a conversation I had recently, as I was sharing my thoughts about Foxe's Book of Martyrs with a friend.  We asked the question as a challenge - whether we would be strong and even willing if/when the time comes.  In my mind, of course I would.  But, being willing to give up my life for Christ when, at times, I am hardly willing to show my love for Him by doing the dishes, or cleaning the bathrooms?  These little sacrifices.  If I am unwilling to give of myself in the little things, will I be faithful in the larger things (Luke 16:10)?  This is something that I have thought of so much during the past weeks. 
 
Another conversation I had in a group setting a few weeks ago, the young people were talking about spectacular ways to die.  It really got me thinking.  If I could choose a way to die, what would it be?  Truly, the conclusion I came to was that I would wish to die as a martyr.  I have prayed for God's will in this.  I do not know when or how I will die, but He holds me in His hands, He cares for me.  He knows when and how.  He knows when I will be going home. 
 
Charles Spurgeon said that "Death is but going home."  That is so true for the Christian!  Death is only the beginning of life!
 
Revelation 14:13
Then I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.’”
“Yes,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, and their works follow them.”
 
 
 
 
1 Corinthians 15:51-58 (these verses from Sunday's sermon - the best I've heard in a long time.)
 
"Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed—  in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.  For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.  So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”
 
“O Death, where is your sting?
O Hades, where is your victory?”

 
The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law.  But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord."

Here is a quote from Charles Spurgeon.  I read it yesterday, and it is a great reminder that "every good and perfect gift is from above." (James 1:17)

"Whatever thou art, thou hast nothing to make thee proud.  The more thou hast, the more thou art in debt to God; and thou shouldst not be proud of that which renders thee a debtor."

I want to burn for Him, be consumed with Him, have a passion for my Lord, a burden for lost souls. I am indebted to Him, and He is alone worthy. 

Psalm 86:11
"Teach me Your way, O Lord..."

1 comment:

Brooke Noble said...

Oh, what perfect timing, Hannah! I just read those verses from 1 Corinthians this morning and have been pondering them since. What an encouragement to know that for us death truly is the beginning of life! This was such a blessing...thank you for sharing your thoughts! <3